James English was born in Naul, County Dublin in 1946. He is widely recognised for his outstanding still-life painting. After a period in horse racing he studied painting at the National College of Art and Design. He first exhibited in 1974. His work has been seen at RHA exhibitions since 1979 and last year he was awarded the James Kenneth Memorial Award at its Annual Exhibition. In December 2003 he was made an Associate of the RHA.
His work is exhibited widely throughout Ireland, the United States and Europe, including Colorie Paesaggi Irlanesi at the Museo del Vittoriano in Rome, 2000. His work is in several public and private collections including the Canadian Embassy, Cork Harbour Commissioners, the OPW and Concept Art Gallery, Pittsburgh, USA. He lives in Loughshinny, County Dublin.
Since then has shown his work throughout Ireland and many locations around the world. In 1996 he received the Aer Lingus/Arts Council Travel and this year received the James Kenneth Kennedy Memorial Award, given at the annual RHA Exhibition. There is a permanent collection of his work on view in his Studio Gallery in Loughshinny, Skerries, where he lives and works.